I know what you’re thinking, these don’t look like your everyday scones. True! They are gluten-free and refined sugar-free. I know, I know, but how can a scone be delicious without gluten + sugar? Well, you’ll have to make them and find out, ha!
But really, these turned out to be so yummy and honestly, it’s hands down the lemon honey butter I whipped up that really makes these scones extra delish. I used The Heritage Bee Company’s Triple Lemon Creamed Honey to make them. The flavour with this honey is next level! I could totally eat it from the jar, which I did.
The Heritage Bee Company is located in Ontario and has a few certifications under their belt. They are Certified B Corporation, Certified Naturally Grown and Certified Bee Friendly Farming. Amazing! Their beekeeping approach is unique and sustainable. They have a whole page on their website dedicated to their approach (click here to read it), which was such a joy to read. I love learning about local businesses and how they operate.
These Lemon Blueberry Scones go perfectly with their Triple Lemon Creamed Honey, trust me, you’ll be licking your fingers with this stuff! See how I made everything below.
Blueberry Lemon Scones
- 1 cup fine almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil make sure it’s cooled a bit before adding to wet ingredients
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 heaping tablespoons Heritage Bee Company Triple Lemon Creamed Honey
- ¼ cup room temperature grass-fed butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, sea salt, lemon zest and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the egg, almond milk, vanilla, lemon juice, coconut oil and mix to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well combined and a dough forms. If it is too wet, add a bit more coconut flour.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Give it a taste and adjust flavour if needed. If you want more lemon, add more. If you want it to be sweeter, add another tablespoon of coconut sugar.
- Now comes the fun part, shaping your scones! Take your dough and shape it into a big round ball (like you are making pizza dough). Place it on top of the baking sheet and start to press it down. What you want is the shape of a disk about 1 inch thick. Carefully cut the scones into 8 pieces like a pizza pie, and if you can, separate them about 1 inch a part. You can shape them any way you like. You can make them more rounded or just leave them as is. They might fall apart a bit, but that’s ok! Just reshape them before putting them in the oven.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes on the middle rack of your oven. It really depends on your oven and how you want them cooked. I baked mine for 23 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add the butter and the honey and mix with a hand mixer until nice and whipped! Add to a serving bowl and add some lemon zest, if you would like.
- Slather onto the scones and enjoy!