Man oh man, do I love a good alfredo sauce, but to be honest, my gut doesn’t love it so much. All the butter, cheese, milk in large quantities just doesn’t sit well in this belly. So, I looked up some traditional alfredo sauces and found some interesting ones. Some with spices, some without, and made it dairy-free! I used ingredients like nutritional yeast, cashews and rosemary to get the flavours I wanted. This sauce is great for meal prep as you can make it at the beginning of the week and use it throughout in multiple ways (listed below)!
Dairy-Free Alfredo Style Sauce
- 1 cup cashews soaked in filtered water overnight or for at least 30-60 minutes
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large clove garlic minced (use 2-3 smaller cloves if you don’t have a big one - I happened to have some monster cloves when I made this ha!)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup filtered water
- In your blender, add the cashews (make sure to toss out the water they were soaking in), nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice and all spices except for the rosemary. Add about 1/4 cup of water to start.
- Start to blend until smooth, adding more water as needed. You don’t have to use all of the water but I used most all of it to thin the sauce out.
- Once blended until your liking, add the rosemary and blend again for 5-10 more seconds.
- Taste and add more spices if you desire.
- Store in a glass container in the fridge for up to 1 week.